Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Home


What is Home--the place where a person, family, or household lives. Is home the same as house? Are they interchangeable? I spent the last 10 days in the same house I've lived for 2 years. I slept in the same bed I have for 2 years. I parked in the same garage, cooked in the same kitchen, vacuumed the same floor (ok, maybe I didn't vacuum) that I always have. But I was not home, because they were not home. My sweet boys were hundreds of miles away, and my girl...across the sea. I drove 2 hours to our airport today to pick up the boys and bring them home. And I will sleep soundly for the first time in 10 days. But I am still not content...having the boys under this roof has settled my soul for today. Yet, one bed sits empty, undisturbed, just waiting for her to be home. Then, maybe then, our sweet yellow house on Arrow Street will be home, finally. Or perhaps home is simply where all 5 of us are together, finally.

1 comment:

Alyson and Ford said...

What a wonderful place to raise three children, your family.
It will be amazing once you have your daughter (hope you are preparing for the trauma this little girl will go through). You are so close, we look forward to reading about your journey.

Alyzabeth's Mommy